Fire Safety Tips
Fire Prevention Week
  • Burn Notice
    • Remind grown-ups to keep hot foods and liquids away from tables and counter edges so they cannot be pulled or knocked over.
    • Grown-ups should always be careful when using things that get hot such as curling irons, oven, irons, lamps, heaters.
    • Hot things can hurt you. Stay away from hot things.
    Just Right?
    • Remind grown-ups to test the water before placing children or themselves in the tub.
    Cool a Burn
    • Treat a burn right away. Put it in cool water for 3-5 minutes. Cover with a clean, dry cloth.
    • Remind grown-ups that if the burn is bigger than your fist, or if you have any questions, to get medical help right away.
    Safety in the Kitchen
    • Remind grown-ups to stay in the kitchen when cooking. Keep things that can burn (potholders, towels, and paper) away from the stove.
    • Stay three feet away from the stove when a grown-up is cooking.
    Electrical check-up
    • Help grown-ups check electrical cords to make sure they are not damaged.
    Heating Reminders
    • Remind grown-ups to keep space heaters 3 feet from anything that can burn.
    • Grown-ups should always turn off space heaters every time they leave the room and before going to bed.
    • Remind grown-ups never to use an oven to heat your home.
    Match and Lighter Safety
    • Tell a grown-up if you find matches or lighters
    • Grown-ups should keep matches and lighters up high in a locked cabinet.
    Candle Caution
    • Remind grown-ups to put out lit candles when they leave a room.
    • Stay three feet away from burning candles.
    Safety Smart Grown-up Reminders
    • Install smoke alarms on every level of your home, inside each bedroom and outside each sleeping area.
    • Test smoke alarms once a month.
    • Replace smoke alarms every 10 years.
    • Make a home fire escape plan with your family.
    • Find two ways out of every room and an outside meeting place.
    • Know the emergency number for your fire department.
    • Practice your escape plan twice a year.
    • When the smoke alarm sounds, get outside and stay outside!



Home Heating and Winter Fire Safety


The high cost of home heating fuels and utilities have caused many Americans to search for alternate sources of home heating. The use of wood burning stoves is growing and space heaters are selling rapidly, or coming out of storage. Fireplaces are burning wood and man made logs. All these methods of heating may be acceptable. They are however, a major contributing factor in residential fires.

Many of these fires can be prevented. You can prevent the loss of life and property resulting from heating fires by being able to identify potential hazards and following these safety tips.

Wood Stoves

Wood stoves cause over 4,000 residential fires every year. Carefully follow the manufacturer's installation and maintenance instructions. Look for solid construction, such as plate steel or cast iron metal. Check for cracks and inspect legs, hinges and door seals for smooth joints and seams. Use only seasoned wood for fuel, not green wood, artificial logs, or trash. Inspect and clean your pipes and chimneys annually and check monthly for damage or obstructions. Be sure to keep combustible objects at least three feet away from your wood stove.

Electric Space Heaters

Buy only heaters with the Underwriter's Laboratory (UL) safety listing. Check to make sure it has a thermostat control mechanism, and will switch off automatically if the heater falls over. Heaters are not dryers or tables; don't dry clothes or store objects on top of your heater. Space heaters need space; keep combustibles at least three feet away from each heater. Always unplug your electric space heater when not in use.

Kerosene Heaters

Buy only UL-approved heaters and check with your local fire department on the legality of kerosene heater use in your community. Never fill your heater with gasoline or camp stove fuel; both flare-up easily. Only use crystal clear K-1 kerosene. Never overfill any portable heater. Use the kerosene heater in a well ventilated room.


Fireplaces regularly build up creosote in their chimneys. They need to be cleaned out frequently and chimneys should be inspected for obstructions and cracks to prevent deadly chimney and roof fires. Check to make sure the damper is open before starting any fire. Never burn trash, paper or green wood in your fireplace. These materials cause heavy creosote buildup and are difficult to control. Use a screen heavy enough to stop rolling logs and big enough to cover the entire opening of the fireplace to catch flying sparks. Don't wear loose-fitting clothes near any open flame. Make sure the fire is completely out before leaving the house or going to bed. Store cooled ashes in a tightly sealed metal container outside the home.

Finally, having a working smoke alarm dramatically increases your chances of surviving a fire. And remember to practice a home escape plan frequently with your family.


© 2023 Long Creek Fire Protection District